Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The joy of diarrhea?

I have been good and hitting the salad bar- the source of low GI food. Unfortunately salad bars are not the safest place for an easily upset stomach. I have been working hard on my PCOS and weight loss

A couple of hours after lunch, I started to do the toilet runs. It was as often as every 15 minutes or so with at loose watery stools. After a while, it was just water, with hardly any solids in it! Scary?

The eerie thing was I felt secretly happy that diarrhea = I am not absorbing my calories well and might lose some weight. How bad can my determination or obsession with weight loss be???!!!

1 comment:

Melissa (from Australia) said...

I get the same thing, they found that i had IBS but that mine was a specific kind called FODMAPS where you are allergic essentially to some fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc. Basically when you eat these foods your intestines lack the ability to absorb them so they run straight through or cause a severely upset tummy. I was put on a diet which excluded these foods and it worked, but not everyone is allergic to everything on the list so you have to introduce certain things back into your diet to see. Its more sensitive the week before your period, during your period and the week after, and sometimes only on the week during. I'd seriously google FODMAPs and ask your local GP for a list of the foods you should avoid and see if it works.
You do lose some weight but the reality of it is your body needs nutrition, and you feel awful if you don't get it.