Thursday, December 14, 2006

PCOS information and support blog

I have PCOS.

I have been diagnosed with it for more than one year, and my symptoms were there since many years ago. I cant remember when it exactly started. Mine is a common experience for women for PCOS. Many were not diagnosed despite years of exhibiting the signs and symptoms of this syndrome.

I am lucky. I am lucky because of my background in healthcare. Lucky because I recognised my own symptoms when all the doctors around me did not. Lucky, because my friend, another healthcare professional also has it, and encouraged me to push for more investigations and the diagnosis. Lucky, because there are people around me who support me by telling me that many doctors dont know much about it, and I have got to push for it.































But until today-I have no treatment for it.

Nope. Nothing!

My scan more than one year ago showed HUGE ovaries. Classic string of pearls.

Nope, those photos were not my ovaries. I wished they were. Mine is much much worse. My little cysts are more gigantic! And that was more than one year ago. Since then I had TWO periods. And one was induced.

But I know it bothers lots of other women. Lots of women. Studies have shown that 5-9% of women has it. How many millions of people are we talking about here?

I hope that this blog will eventually contain information of use to other women with PCOS, and by openly sharing my experience, you know that you are not alone when you read this blog.

My wish.. not only women visit this. Men too!! For women with PCOS, their partners' understanding is CRUCIAL!!! If you are man reading this, I give you my hugs! (One big, hairly hug). Support your woman. She is a woman alright. Hairs, fats, acne and all. She is a woman deep down at heart, no matter what she looks like. Whether she bleeds every month or not. That PCOS thief is trying to steal away her womanhood, her identity, her life. Stay with her, help her to get it back or prevent it from slipping away.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this. I've tried to explain to my boyfriend exactly why having PCOS upsets me so much, and he automatically assumes that I'm upset about maybe not being able to have kids and freaks out. Thank god someone understands that it's not necessarily about that; I feel defeminised, broken, dysfunctional and as though my body is failing me in one of the most fundamental ways it can - to make me feel like a woman. Thank you for utting the word out there, we need more like you.

Woman said...

Hi Anoynomous..

Yes, unfortunately, the "men dun get it" sometimes. They may assume that it is alright, since they are not demanding that we have kids or something like that. Sigh.. give him some time, and yourself some time.

I understand what you mean, it is such an identity robbing process.

Best wishes and take good care.

Sammie said...

My sister who is 27 and I who is 18 both have PCOS.....My sister was diagnosed when she was about 6 or 7 years ago.....I myself have never been diagnosed.....I know that it is PCOS do to I have the same symptoms as my sister....I know that is is hard to wake up every morning and thinking is this a nightmare we are in, but it isn't some people makes fun of us just b/c we have this disease, We didn't choose to have it....We can't change it, but we can make the best out of our life with it....I don't let it stop me and my sister doesn't let it stop her....We have to be strong and take care of ourselves, God made us have this for a reason, just like everything happens in life for a reason....If God didn't think we was strong enough to take care of ourselves with this disease, he wouldn't of made us how we are....God is the one who helps us through this everyday and with God we can make it through anything!!



God Bless!

Woman said...

Dear Sammie

Thanks for sharing your stories. It is such a frustrating condition, isn't it? Just the fight with weight problems itself is so draining.

I am still as heaving as I was when I started to work really hard in losing weight. Although the weight stayed the same, there has been some improvements in my symptoms.

So, don't lose heart! Be strong, and take care of yourselves.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the sharing, Really appreciate that there's someone out there who are speaking for PCOS survivors

It has never been easy for me either having people judge you based on how your physical appearance. Its especially demotivating when you are living amongst families and friends with really desirable metabolism while you are working out so hard and obsessing over calories, hairs, acne, period and what not!

And when you get upset over your predisposition, all they do is ignore you, telling you they understand when they don't even give a damn about your struggles. Your cries for support are only met with people who keep judging you as a fat lazy whiner. One will never understand what it's like to have PCOS unless one has it.

Sorry for the long rant, have to get it off my chest.