Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pregnancy test kits - what if you do not have a regular period?

I have no regular period, ie no indicator of "this is when you test".  Since I don't drink or smoke, I thought this was alright. However, I needed some medicines when I feel ill. Was I going to stop taking that just in case  I am pregnant? My job would be at risk if I decide to happily call in sick for so many days!  


Testing for pregnancy is an expensive business. Those test kits on the pharmacy shelves compete on the basis of their accuracy after X day of missing period. These are not relevant information for me. I have no regular period, so what is the value of a test that offer 99% accuracy after 1 day? Leading brands like Clearblue Pregnancy Test costs about £10 a pop in the pharmacy and offer fancy things like colour changing tip (so that you know your urine has hit the tip) or saying the results in English "Pregnant" shown  instead of crosses or lines (so that there is no way you misread your test). I concluded that their target markets must be teenagers who have regular periods and want to know if they are in trouble after some hanky panky in the school park. That is why they charge a lot more for than extra bit of accuracy and reassurance - price for a peace of mind.


Just for the sake of ensuring I am not pregnant whenever I pop some medicines or actually allow myself to indulge in some bubblies, I will have to test. How often would that be? Unlike lucky women who could do a couple of tests a month, I have no "missing period" as an indicator and needed cheaper options. Imagine my delight when I found Amazon sells a pack of Ultra Early Highly Sensitive 10miu Pregnancy Strip Tests (25 strips) for less than £5. I quickly bought a pack to "try", and have been using it for about 1 week. I am so impressed that I am posting a review on the pregnancy test.

No comments: