Saturday, March 12, 2011

Japan 8.9 Earthquake and Tsunami - 11.3.11

I did not sleep well last night. I had watched the clip of Miyagi prefecture from a helicopter that was broad casted "live" earlier from NHK. 18 minutes of it - and I watched it twice. 
Minamisanriku: 10,000 missing
The evening news had broad casted edited versions of it, and I remembered one scene where a person was trying of outrun the waves, and other sections of cars speeding away, and the newsreader read that section was "we don't know whether they managed to escape". When I saw the "live" version, despite the cameras zooming out, when the waves near, it was obvious these people did not have a chance. I watched those clips with adrenaline running through me, not much difference from then I watched Jurasic Park when the T-rex chased humans, or 2012- the movie, when waves hit. I almost wanted to scream "run". I wanted to scream at the people on the helicopter, use a loudspeaker, and tell the cars to "u turn" and take the other road. The waves had hit where they are trying to go to, turn around and speed away! My heart jumped when two cars had accelerated and zoomed past the knee depth water. They JUST made it. Moments later, another wave came - and the whole area was obliterated.  They escaped. And I watched that again. They escaped.  Phew. 

It was like watching an action film, except that when the waves engulf "someone" or "a car" on the tv, someone really dies. A child will be without parents. A family wiped out. A parent without a child. Children growing up with painful memories, and nightmare.  My heart goes out to them, and I feel  like giving this girl a hug. 


And now I fear for all the pregnant women and young children with that nuclear threat....

No comments: