Thursday, August 12, 2010

Xenical Day 2: the psychological trauma

I  have also quite reluctantly started Xenical (orlistat). I am using the full prescription dose of 120 mg capsuloes instead of those you can get over the counter. It works out to be much cheaper per mg of the drug!

I don't think this drug will help me to reach my target weight at all. But the very unpleasant side effects ( I get totally nasty, embarrassing side effects of oily leaking out and diarrhoea if I eat oily things) will hopefully stop me from eating anything with high fat content. That is the purpose of the drug for me, and I have been told to take it everyday, instead of only after fatty meals to get this preventative benefit.

So, yesterday I took a capsule about 1 hour after lunch ( taken it the afternoon, I save some money since covers both my lunch and dinner! Genius)  I knew I was going to take the capsule after lunch, and had painstakingly chosen low fat options for lunch. I gave the cakes a miss.  For dinner, I was dragged into a very good pizzeria by friends, and there was lashings of olive oil in my pizza! 

I paid for it later that night. I was so bloated (another side effect), and I had oil in my stool ( that is another word for shit).  This morning, I keep going to the toilet (another side effect if you take oily food).  I am so bloated, I can hardly take any lunch!

Horrible? Yes. Totally horrible.  Am I taking it again today? Yes!!! Anything with fat looks totally unappetizing now. Cakes turn me off. Those (fatless) konyaku noodles look delicious.

No comments: