Saturday, February 26, 2011

Folic acid deficiency risk with metformin

Seeing the Pregnacare vitamin advert flashed on this site reminded me about an important topic - take folic acid if you are planning to become pregnant or already pregnant. Taking folic acid is particularly important when you use metformin. I just read a report a few weeks ago that metformin users are at a risk of folic acid deficiency. Folic acid deficiency during pregnancy put the baby at higher risk of spina bifida - one of those conditions I would described as " it is unlikely to happen, but if it happens, it is a tragedy".

The report I read gave too little info to tell whether you can prevent that by taking the usual recommended preconception dose, or you need an even larger dose. Yupp, another pill for me.

No comments: